MAKURA NO SOSHI: A WOMAN WHO LOVES INSECTS
.
Saturday, October 19, 2002
Ariake - Poems of Longing by Anonymous Woman Courtiers from Heian-Period Japan



Am I to go on,
Forever yearning, my thoughts
Tangled as seaweed
Swaying with the waves, neither
Drifting out nor coming in?

* * *


As night succeeds night,
I seek in vain to decide
Where my pillow should go.
How did I sleep on the night
When you appeared in my dream?

* * *


All too soon, I fear,
Wild sobs will expose my love,
As wind-driven waves,
Crashing onto the beaches,
Laying bare the roots of the pines.
Posted by Artichoke Heart | 11:44 AM |
Links
Home
Archives
E-mail Artichoke Heart
About
Pictures

Books by Artichoke Heart
Beyond Heart Mountain
Year of the Snake

Poems by Artichoke Heart
Pearls
Hope
Songs for a Rainy Season
Toothpick Warriors
Chrysanthemums
Snake Wife
Happy Hour
Girl With A Bowl On Her Head

Pillow Book Courtiers Of The
East Wing
Blogroll Me!

Pillow Book Courtiers Of The
West Wing
Blogroll Me!

Acknowledgments and Buttons

Oral Sex Donations Accepted